Be assured that your credit balances are settled in case of life’s unexpected occurences with CreditShield Plus.
- Card balance covered up to P1,800,000
- Low monthly premium of only P0.69 per P100 Citi Card balance
- Fast and hassle-free application and claims
New enhanced benefits effective 30 January 2014
Citi Card balance protection of up to P1,800,000!
Credit Shield Plus pays for 3x your Citi Card’s total outstanding balance for the relevant month up to P1,800,000 or 360% of your Combined/Regular credit limit, as applicable, whichever is lower at the time of death (due to accident, illness, or natural cause), permanent disablement, or first diagnosis of covered critical illness. The benefit settles your outstanding Citi Card balances and any remainder will be received by you or your beneficiary.
If you become temporarily disabled for more than 15 days, it will pay for your monthly minimum due starting on the 16th to 30th day of your temporary disablement and 2x your monthly minimum due starting on the 31st day of your temporary disablement up to a maximum of 12 months.
Enjoy maximum protection at a minimum premium
Pay only a monthly premium of 0.69% (or Php0.69 for every Php100) of the outstanding balance including any unbilled instalment amount. A one-time Documentary Stamp Tax (DST) will be charged to your first premium billing ranging from Php0 to Php50 depending on your outstanding balance.
|OUTSTANDING BALANCE (in Php)||DST (in Php)|
|> 100,000 and <= 300,000||10.00|
|> 300,000 and <= 500,000||25.00|
|> 500,000 and <= 600,000||50.00|
Additional safety features for your peace of mind
CreditShield Plus is the first and only credit card insurance in the market that covers the seven common critical illnesses, in case of first diagnosis of:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction)
- Kidney Failure
- Major Organ Transplant Surgery
Fast and easy application
There are no medical exams required or long health questionnaire to be answered. To avail of CreditShield Plus, simply call our 24-Hour CitiPhone at (02) 995 9999(02) 995 9999. You may also apply online by logging on to Citibank Online.
Monthly premium of 0.69% of total credit card balance will be automatically billed in your nominated Citi Card.
Hassle Free Claims
Simply call our 24-Hour CitiPhone to file a claim.
Click on to expand and on to minimise the details.
Credit Shield Plus is a credit card insurance that pays for 3x your Citi Card’s total outstanding balance for the relevant month up to P1,800,000 or 360% of your Combined/Regular credit limit, as applicable, whichever is lower at the time of death (due to accident, illness, or natural cause), permanent disablement, or first diagnosis of covered critical illness. The benefit settles your outstanding Citi Card balances and any remainder will be received by you or your beneficiary.
If you become temporarily disabled for more than 15 days, it will pay for your monthly minimum due on 16th to 30th day of your temporary disablement and 2x your monthly minimum due starting on the 31st day of your temporary disablement up to maximum of 12 months.
Please refer to below table that highlights key differences between the new and enhanced Credit Shield Plus and the old Credit Shield Plus.
|Key Benefits||Old Cover for Credit Shield Plus||Enhanced Cover for Credit Shield Plus|
|Death, Total and
or Critical Illness
All active and current Citibank principal cardholders between 18 and 64 years old can avail of CreditShield Plus.
You may avail of CreditShield Plus for all your Citi Cards since CreditShield Plus is on a "per card account" basis.
Yes, there is a maximum benefit payable and below are the limits:
- Death, Permanent Disability, or Critical Illness - Outstanding Card Balance including unbilled installment up to Php1,800,000 or 360% of Combined or Regular Credit Limit, as applicable, whichever is lower.
- Temporary Disability – Monthly minimum amount due on starting on 16th to 30th day of your temporary disablement and 2x your monthly minimum due starting on the 31st day of your temporary disablement up to maximum of 12 months, computed at the time of temporary disablement
Your premiums will be automatically charged to your Citibank Credit Card every month and will be included in the Total Amount Due in your card statement.
Your premium rate is fixed at 0.69% of your outstanding balance (total amount due plus unbilled instalments).
Your coverage will take effect when the first CreditShield Plus premium and the one-time documentary stamp are charged to your Citibank Credit Card.
The expenses charged on your supplementary card/s are also covered since the transactions of your supplementary cardholder/s are charged to your card and are reflected in your monthly card statement.
Your coverage will be automatically cancelled once your credit card becomes delinquent. However, once the card becomes active, CreditShield Plus will be automatically reinstated.
Yes, unbilled instalments (i.e. PayLite, Balance Transfer, Balance Conversion, Retail Conversion) are covered as well, subject to the maximum coverage of Php1,800,000 or 360% of your combined credit limit or regular credit limit, as applicable. This does not include the Special Installment Limit. Corresponding premiums (and one-time documentary stamp tax, if applicable) for the unbilled portions (principal plus interest) will be charged, too.
You will receive the Certificate of Coverage within four (4) weeks from your purchase date. The terms and conditions are specified in the certificate, and you are strongly advised to review them.
To know the requirements for filing a claim, please contact Citibank’s 24-Hour Citiphone at (632) 995 9999(632) 995 9999 for Citibank Credit Cardholders.
Creditshield Plus is underwritten by Pru Life Insurance Corporation of UK (Pru Life UK). It is not a bank deposit, or obligation of, or guaranteed by Citicorp Financial Services & Insurance Brokerage Philippines, Inc. (CFSI), Citibank N.A., Citigroup or any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.
Call our 24-Hour CitiPhone at (632) 995 9999(632) 995 9999.
Must have an active and current Citibank principal cardholders
Must be between 18 and 64 years old
How much does it cost?
Premium rate is fixed at 0.69% of your outstanding balance (total amount due plus unbilled instalments).
CreditShield Plus is underwritten by PRU LIFE U.K. and brokered by Citicorp Financial Services & Insurance Brokerage Phils., Inc. (CFSI). All insurance applications are subject to Prulife U.K.'s underwriting and acceptance. It is not a bank deposit or obligation of or guaranteed by Citicorp Financial Services & Insurance Brokerage Philippines, Inc., Citibank, N.A., Citigroup or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Claims under the policy will be solely decided upon by the Insurance Company. Citibank, Citigroup or any of their affiliates and group entities hold no warranty and do not make any representation about the insurance, the quality of claims processing and shall not be responsible for claims, recovery of claims, or for clearing of claims, in any manner whatsoever. This material is for general information only and is not a contract of insurance. Accordingly, the information should be read and construed in light of and subject to all terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy certificate. Full details are stated in the policy certificate. There are conditions whereby the benefits under the plan will not be payable. These are stated as exclusions in the policy. CreditShield Plus does not cover pre-existing conditions and certain illnesses. You are advised to read the policy certificate for the full list of exclusions. For claims, please call 24-Hour CitiPhone at (02) 995-9999995-9999. For policy related inquiries, please call Pru Life UK at 857-0707 or via our Domestic Toll-Free Customer Hotline Number 1-800-10-778-54-33 (1-800-10-PRULIFE). You may also e-mail Pru Life UK at email@example.com.
General Policy Conditions
Credit Shield Plus is an optional credit card protection product that pays for 3x your Citi Card’s total outstanding balance for the relevant month up to P1,800,000 or 360% of your Combined/Regular credit limit, as applicable, whichever is lower at the time of death (due to accident, illness, or natural cause), permanent disablement, or first diagnosis of covered critical illness. The benefit settles your outstanding Citi Card balances and any remainder will be received by you or your beneficiary. If you become temporarily disabled for more than 15 days, it will pay for your monthly minimum due on 16th to 30th day of your temporary disablement and 2x your monthly minimum due starting on the 31st day of your temporary disablement up to maximum of 12 months.
Death - Sum assured in case of Death of the cardholder is thrice (3x) the amount of the cardholder's total card outstanding balance including unbilled installment and finance charges for a maximum of two months after date of death; It is the death arising from Injury or Illness while the cardholder's insurance coverage is in-force except as maybe excluded in the policy
Permanent Disablement - Sum assured in case of Permanent Disablement of the cardholder is thrice (3x) the amount of the cardholder's total card outstanding balance including unbilled installment and finance charges; It means disablement caused by Injury or Illness except as specifically excluded under the policy and as a result of which the cardholder is rendered unable to earn income in any occupation, trade, or profession for which the cardholder could reasonably be expected to suited through education, training, or experience for a period six consecutive months and the Insurer is satisfied that the cardholder will be so rendered indefinitely.
Temporary Disablement - Sum assured in case of Temporary Disablement of the cardholder is (1) 10% of the Insured’s Indebtedness for each month of Temporary Disablement up to a maximum of twelve (12) months; provided that no Benefits for Temporary Disablement shall be payable for the first fifteen (15) days of any period of Temporary Disablement; and (2) waiver of premium becoming due on the insurance coverage during the Period of Temporary Disablement up to a maximum of 12 months; It means disablement caused by Injury or Illness except as specifically excluded in the policy and as result of which the cardholder is prevented from attending to their occupation and provided the cardholders not otherwise gainfully employed or in receipt of any payments from his employer (including sick pay) or workers compensation insurance.
Critical Illness - Sum assured in case cardholder contracted as Critical Illness is thrice (3x) the amount of the cardholder's total card outstanding balance including unbilled installment and finance charges; It means the first diagnosis of a Medical Practitioner acceptable to the Insurer of any of the following Illnesses first occurring after the Effective Date: Blindness; Cancer; Kidney Failure; Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery; Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction); Major Organ Transplant Surgery; Stroke; provided that advise or treatment for that disease or sickness was not sought or obtained from a medical practitioner, chiropractor, naturopath, or any other practitioner of a similar kind within 12 months immediately prior to the Effective Date.
Definitions of Covered Critical Illness
Blindness means the total and irreversible loss of all sights of both eyes (aided or unaided)
Cancer means a malignant tumor, characterized by the uncontrolled growth and spread of malignant cells with invasion and destruction of normal tissue. The cancer must be confirmed by histological evidence of malignancy on a pathology report. The following are excluded: (a) tumors showing the malignant changes of carcinoma-in-situ (including cervical dysplasia CIN-1, CIN-2 and CIN-3) or which are histologically described as pre-malignant; (b) all skin cancers other than malignant melanomas; (c) prostate cancers which are histologically described as TNM Classification or Tla or Tlb or are of another equivalent or lesser classification; (d) chronic lymphocytic leukemia less than Rai Stage 3; or (c) all tumors in the presence of HIV infection.
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery means the actual undergoing of open-heart surgery to correct the narrowing or blockage of one or more coronary arteries with by-pass grafts. Angiographic evidence of more than 50% coronary artery obstruction must be provided and the procedure must be considered medically necessary by a consultant cardiologist. Angioplasty, stent insertion and all other intra-arterial catheter-based techniques or laser procedures are excluded.
Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction) means the death of a portion of the heart muscle (myocardium), arising from inadequate blood supply to the relevant area. The diagnosis must be supported by all of the following criteria and be consistent with acute myocardial infarction: (a) a history of chest pain; (b) new electrocardiographic changes; and (c) diagnostic elevation of cardiac enzyme CK-MB or cardiac troponin 1 >0.6 mcg/L or Troponin 1>2 mcg/L.
Kidney Failure means chronic irreversible failure of both kidneys requiring permanent renal dialysis.
Major Organ Transplant Surgery means that actual undergoing, as a recipient, of a transplant of bone marrow using hematopoicde stem cells preceded by total bone marrow ablation, or transplant of a heart, lung, liver, pancreas, or kidney. The transplant must have been clinically necessary to treat irreversible end-stage failure of the relevant organ. Other stem cell transplants and transplants of part of an organ are excluded.
Stroke means a cerebrovascular incident including infarction of brain tissue, cerebral and subarachnoid hemorrhage, cerebral embolism and cerebral thrombosis resulting in significant and permanent functional neurological impairment which must be confirmed by a consultant neurologist at least 6 weeks after the event. The diagnosis must be supported by findings on Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Computerized Tomography, or other reliable imaging techniques consistent with the diagnosis of a new stroke. The following are excluded: (a) transient ischemic attacks and any reversible ischemic neurological deficit; (b) brain damage due to an accident or injury, infection, vasculitis, inflammatory disease and migraine; (c) disorder of the optic nerve or of the blood vessels affecting the eye; or (d) ischemic disorders of the vestibular system.
DEBTORS/CARDHOLDERS ELIGIBLE FOR INSURANCE
- A primary cardholder of Citibank Mastercard, Citibank Visa, and/or other co-brand/affiliate of credit cards issued by Citibank
- Cardholder must be 64 years old and below
EFFECTIVE DATE OF INSURANCE
Purchase of CreditShield Plus will be allowed using any of the methods stated below:
- Recorded Telephone enrollment via Citi Phone or through Citi telemarketing service provider
- Signed Citibank Credit Card application form
- Signed enrollment form downloaded from Citi website transmitted by facsimile
- Via online enrollment through Citibank Online
Each eligible cardholder shall become insured on the later of the following dates provided that the initial premium has not been paid, thus:
- Date of Sales or "Sale Date" of CreditShield Plus to the cardholder as indicated in the appropriate billing statement issued by Citibank to the cardholder where such Date of Sales or "Sales Date" of CreditShield Plus first appears;
- Date on which any increased premium rates or any special conditions are accepted by the cardholder
No benefits for Permanent Disablement, Temporary Disablement or Critical Illness will be payable under the Group Master Policy where the Event arises from:
- An Illness or Critical Illness which occurred within 12 months prior to the Effective Date or from the date of last reinstatement of the cardholder's insurance;
- Any injury which was deliberately self-inflicted;
- The effects of or complications arising from pregnancy;
- Travel in or descent from an aircraft or any other serial device except with regard to a person travelling as a passenger, not as an operator or crew member, of an aircraft being used by a commercial passenger airline and operated by a licensed pilot over its established route;
- Any kind of war, declared or not, strikes, riot, civil war, revolution , insurrection or any warlike operations;
- The influence of alcohol or drugs, other than the proper use of drugs prescribed by a legally qualified medical practitioner;
- Disablement or Critical Illness which can be attributed to a specific condition or illness (or aggravated by a specific condition or illness) or which the Creditor had been notified by the INSURER at or prior to the Effective Date as being excluded from cover;
- Any Disablement or critical illness resulting directly or indirectly from: (i) Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), AIDS Related Complex (ARC) as defined by the World Health Organization from time to time; or (ii) The presence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) as revealed by a positive HIV anti-body or HIV test.
- Critical Illness diagnosed within ninety (90) days from Effective Date.
No Permanent Disablement or Critical Illness Benefits will be payable, where the cardholder has previously received benefits for "Permanent Disablement or Critical Illness" under any credit insurance policy or any of the Insurer's similar insurance policies.
PAYMENT OF PROCEEDS
Citibank N.A. shall be the sole and irrevocable beneficiary of each cardholder to the extent of the unpaid balance on the insured credit card at the time of cardholder's Death, Permanent Disablement, Temporary Disablement or Critical Illness (but not exceeding the Maximum Insurance Coverage). Any amount payable under the Policy shall be paid directly to Citibank N.A. The amount so paid shall be applied to the payment of the credit card balances of the cardholder. Any amount in excess of the unpaid balance shall be paid by PRU LIFE U. K. in accordance with the following :
- To the cardholder in the event of Benefits arising from Permanent Disablement, Temporary Disablement or Critical Illness; and
- To the first surviving class of the following classes of successive preference beneficiaries: the cardholder's (1) widow/widower, (2) surviving children, (3) surviving parents, (4) surviving brother/sister, (5) executors or administrators, in the event of Benefits arising from Death.
TERMINATION OF INDIVIDUAL INSURANCE
The insurance of an Insured Debtor with respect to an Indebtedness shall automatically terminate immediately upon the earlies of the following dates: Upon -
- Written notice by Citibank N.A. to the Insurer that the credit card has been cancelled; or
- The attainment of age 65 by the cardholder; or
- The Death or Permanent Disablement of the cardholder; or
- Payment of a Critical Illness benefit; or
- The date the cardholder is in default in paying Citibank N.A. the amount due on his credit card for more than two months; or
- Non-payment of premiums for a period of 31 days after they have become due; or
- The succeeding month's billing statement date after receipt by the Insurer of a written notice from Citibank N.A., or the cardholder directing that the insurance be cancelled; or
- Termination of the Policy.
Within a period of six months after default or cessation by the cardholder in the payment of premium cardholder whose Insurance was terminated under the section entitled "Termination of Individual Insurance" may again be insured under CreditShield Plus subject to the following conditions:
- The cardholder elects to resume payment of the premium charges to be collected by Citibank N.A.
- Citibank N.A. consents to the reinstatement of the cardholder's insurance; and
- The cardholder furnishes without expense to the Insurer satisfactory evidence of insurability.
PREMIUM AND COVERAGE LIMITS
Premium rate is fixed at 0.69% of your outstanding balance (total amount due plus unbilled instalments). All premiums payable shall be payable to the Insurer monthly with the amount of premium due charged to the nominated credit card account.
The maximum benefit/coverage are as follows:
- Death, Permanent Disability, or Critical Illness - 3x the outstanding Citi Card balance including unbilled installment up to Php1,800,000 or 360% of Combined or Regular Credit Limit, as applicable, whichever is lower.
- Temporary Disability - Pays 5% of Indebtedness* (or minimum amount due) starting on 16th day of Temporary Disablement and 10% of Indebtedness* (or 2x minimum amount due) starting on 31st day of Temporary Disablement capped at 12 months
No Benefits shall be payable under the Policy unless:
- Written notice is given to the Insurer within 90 days after any of the Events giving rise to a Benefit. Failure to give notice within the time provided in the Group Master Policy shall not invalidate or reduce any claim if it can be shown that it was not reasonably possible to do so and that notice was given as soon as reasonably possible;
- The Claimant completes the standard claims form issued by the Insurer and produces at no cost to the Insurer such evidence to substantiate the claim to the Insurer satisfaction and as it may reasonably require;
- In case of Permanent Disablement, the cardholder undergoes medical examinations at any time by a legally qualified medical practitioner appointed by the Insurer ( if required by Pru Life U.K.), the cost of which is borne by the Insurer;
- In case of Temporary Disablement, the cardholder undergoes any medical treatment recommended by a legally qualified medical practitioner and which is reasonable for the cardholder to undergo, if required by the Insurer
- Proof of occurrence of Critical Illness must be supported by:
- The appropriate and legally qualified medical practitioner approved by the Insurer The medical practitioner must be other than the cardholder or a member of the cardholder's immediate family; and
- Corfirmatory investigations including, but not limited to, clinical, radiological, histological and laboratory evidence; and
- If a Critical Illness requires a surgical procedure to be performed, the procedure must be the usual treatment for the condition and be medically necessary.
- The Claimant provides proof of cardholder's age when required by the Insurer
- A post mortem examination of the cardholder is carried out, unless forbidden by law, if required by the Insurer, at the latter's expense.
The CreditShield Plus policy of the cardholder or any additional portion thereof shall not be contested after it has been in force during the lifetime of the cardholder for a period of two (2) years from the Effective Date of CreditShield Plus; or from the date of last reinstatement, whichever is later, except for non-payment of premium.
If a cardholder dies by suicide within two (2) years from the Effective Date or date of approval of last reinstatement of CreditShield Plus, the pertinent provisions of the Insurance Code shall apply. Where no death benefit is payable, the Insurer shall refund all premiums paid from the Effective Date of the cardholder's coverage or date of reinstatement of CreditShield Plus as defined under the Reinstatement Provision of the Policy to the date of death.
RIGHTS OF POLICY EXAMINATION
The cardholder is guaranteed the right to examine his/her Certificate of Coverage and the Group Master Policy within the premises of Citibank N.A. during the latter's regular business hours. If after examination the cardholder is not fully satisfied, he/she may return the Certificate of Coverage to the INSURER within 30 days from the policy Effective Date. Upon return of the Certificate, the cardholder's insurance will be cancelled and all premiums paid will be promptly and fully refunded to him/her.THIS MATERIAL MERELY SUMMARIZES THE PROVISION OF THE GROUP MASTER POLICY PRINCIPALLY AFFECTING THE INSURED AND DOES NOT IN ANY WAY CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT. THE BENEFITS DESCRIBED ARE ALL SUBJECT TO THE PROVISIONS, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE GROUP MASTER POLICY.